The Confusion Regarding Cannabis, Hemp and Marijuana
There is so much chatter about CBD oil and what is is and is not. Unfortunately, most people are uninformed about the differences and the medicinal properties being touted by countless companies entering the market selling "CBD" oils. Hopefully this information will make it more clear so you can make an intelligent decision when looking to purchase CBD oil.
Most of us have heard about the Cannabis plant. There are two main classifications of the Cannabis plant- Sativa and Indica. Marijuana can be classified as a member of both the Sativa and Indica plant family. Hemp, on the other hand is a member of the Cannabis Sativa plant family.
What's in these plants?
All Cannabis contain Cannabinoids. The two that we hear the most about are THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (Cannabidiol.) Both THC and CBD have been medical proven to provide amazing benefits when ingested. The main difference is that THC is the psychoactive compound that gets you high and CBD does not. The main difference in the plants, besides one being legal in all 50 states (Hemp) and the other illegal in some states (Marijuana) is the levels of THC. Marijuana is high in THC concentration (15%-40%) and Hemp has 0.3% or less.This is why people smoke "weed" and not hemp! Marijuana is commonly grown for its psychoactive properties (getting you high), while Hemp is mainly grown for its industrial, and now medicinal uses.
So how does CBD work? All human beings, and all mammals as a matter of fact have what's known as an Endocannabinoid System. This system is responsible for keeping the body in balance. It impacts everything that's going on in our bodies including your immune system, sleep, mental state, pain, hunger and hormone levels. Our bodies also contain Cannabinoid receptors located in the brain and other parts of the body. CBD contains over 120 other cannabinoids, all of which can have amazing healing capabilities. CBD helps to activate or stimulate our natural production of Cannabinoids, which is very important to maintain balance in our bodies. CBD also affects our opioid receptors and can positively affect Serotonin and Dopamine in our brain. Many people take CBD as an alternative to prescription meds for anxiety, depression, PTSD and other mental health disorders.
Let's clear up some confusion. Hemp oil is not CBD. Hemp oil is used for cooking and while it doesn not contain CBD, it is chock full of nutrients. Beyond using it in your food, hemp is also used in a variety of different industrial application, from making soap to making biodiesel fuel.
CBD oil is processed from the stalking,buds and leaves of the hemp plant. There are different hemp strains that produce higher levels of CBD. CBD has been used for a variety of medical conditions including but not limited to treating inflammatory disorders, pain relief, PTSD, depression, anxiety, regulating blood sugar levels, MS, seizures and other neurological disorders.
This is just a short overview on the difference between the hemp and marijuana plants. Please be aware that many products being sold today as CBD oil, do not contain any CBD! Please do your research and look for the following things before making a purchase:
1) Know where the plants were grown and processed. Only buy products grown and processed in the U.S, organic, non-GMO, pesticide/herbicide free and processed in a GMP certified facility.
2) Make sure the company publishes an independent lab report so you know exactly what is in the bottle.
3) Do not buy pure hemp seed oil unless you're looking for an expensive salad dressing or Omega supplement.
4) Make sure you get a money back guarantee! There are different strengths and dosages. I normally tell people to start with 5oomg full spectrum oil, but in some cases the customer may require a higher concentration (750-1500mg). You want t be able to exchange and/or return your product if it's not working or you need to adjust the strength.
5) Deal only with a reputable company! You will see a million "CBD" companies popping up due to the explosive growth in the market. You get what you pay for when it comes to CBD oil. Do your homework!
Looking for high quality CBD products? Visit www.ctfo-online.com and read about the science behind our products.
Next up........ How to read a CBD oil label to determine what you are buying.